2.22.2008

Cynicism v. Truth

Sometimes I think I, and maybe others can relate, mistake seeking the truth and wanting to live in truth, as cynicism. I know it may sound strange....even oxymoronical, but hear me out.
I know this person who is always wanting to seek the Lord's heart...in doing so, they don't like to do a lot of things that maybe a group of us want to...like they won't go see a movie they know is probably not good. I have mistaken this, before, as them just being negative and stubborn. On other occassions they have interrupted a converstation by saying, "Hey, isn't there something better to talk about?" when a group of us are talking about someone that isn't present. I have previously mistaken this for the person wanting to control conversations and only talk about things that interest that person...or I've taken it as an isult that our conversations aren't "good enough" for that person. I've found, also, that in everything, my friend analyzes and digs deeper...sometimes shooting down ideas or theories I think are right and refuting them with principles I hadn't thought of. I've been known to take this as flat out criticism of my lack of knowledge....istead of this person providing or reminding me of valuable truths.
I have possessed this notion that this individual was just cynical...no fun...boring and dull and stubborn and judgmental as they make me feel like crap sometimes. But that's not the way they are at all. That's my flesh, my earthlyness talking. And that is a testament to that person standing up and really saying, "Hey, I'm going to be counterculture...I'm going to live differently than you." This person is being stubborn: stubborn as to persevere through everything to know the truth deeper and not be afraid to point out false ideas, theories, or beliefs people possess when it comes to the written word.
And my feelings getting hurt was just me being prideful and stuck in my ways...which aren't always necessarily the Lord's. But it's hard sometimes to really have that drive to seek the truth fully. It is so easy, on the other hand, to just listen to what someone tells you is right...maybe a college-aged leader, or pastor, or respected elder in the church, or even peers, and just trust them to tell you the truth without putting up a fight.
It's harder to form a counterargument...it takes effort. But, I suppose in order to know the truth fully, we're going to have to get pretty good at forming counterarguments. Because the only way to find out if something is really irrefutable, is to make sure there are no counterarguments. Sure, there are some situational things...but everything has to be taken into account when deciding if it's right or wrong to go to this movie, or listen to that music, or hang out with these people, or talk about such and such or so and so. Sure, we're never going to get it all right. But if we just blindly accept the things we hear from the group we are much more likely to not be living in the right, I think, because true Christianity in whatever state you or I are presently at, is still the minority.

So, when it comes down to my personal situations, I was the one being cynical. I was the one looking at the bad instead of being absolutely blessed by the example of someone who would stand up for the Lord.

2 comments:

Scidion said...

Our pride being hurt can be painful, and cynicism is destructive in our lives, but we all go through it. We all have parts of being a cynic in us. I'm glad you had someone to show you yours.

I missed reading your posts. My sabbatical from blogging seemed to make me lose the habit of reading yours.

It's good to read your blogs again.

Courtney Day said...

Aw thanks :)
I missed reading yours!
But I have been known to make the same rule here and there (: I am glad you are back :)