5.27.2008

Editing

So, my mom met this lady today who ended up being in the editing field. I guess she'd been doing it for a long time and, after 10 years in the business, finally made a name for herself and started to make a little money. Now, 30 years later, she's finally doing what she's always wanted to do: freelance stuff. It only took her 40 years. She said that, basically, the market for editing in San Diego or even California is in the form of text book, medical, and scientific journals and not too much else. New York is great though.

Well shoot. I'm not moving to New York.

And I can't afford to live off my parents for 10 years, like this gal did. Plus, she majored in communications. And I'm not doing that. I need an english degree and a single subject teaching credencial as a backup. Or...now more of a forerunner. I don't want to edit scientific journal magazines. No thanks.

But lately I have been getting more of an itch to teach. Maybe that's because high school is coming to a close....only three more days of classes...and I realize what an impact it's had on me and I want to be a part of impacting other young folks.

Who knows.

All I know is I realllly don't want to edit scientific journals! She said it was a super boring job. But now she likes it because she works from home. After 30 years.

I'd rather grade kids' gramatically horrendous papers for 50 years than edit scientific journals for 10. Hah! Really though. I am so fond of a red grading pen (: But then again...red is so boring. I'll have to use teal or lime green or something. Find my trademark pen. Yes, I can see it already.

Hmmmm.


1 comment:

lauren lee said...

I think you would be a very good teacher. I think a teal pen would be good too. :D