10.22.2007

Firestorm: The Witch Fire

Southern California is now on fire...again. It's dejavu. I love the mountains--my heart is in the mountains; now I look toward mine and wonder if it'll bring disaster in the coming days. Earlier there were about 8 fires burning, none contained. The Santa Ana winds are blowing them, giving life to the flames. Hot and insidiously the fire is burning away life as many people know it. All of us are glued to our televisions. Wondering who's next...? What town is on the fire's hit list? None of the people who's homes are destroyed tonight and right in the fire's line of distruction thought they would be. No one thought their house would be gone tonight.
For some reason I thought if I just took a nap, I would wake up and this would all be over. We would be able to claim that the media overexaggerated circumstances. Yet how can anyone deny that long, ongoing list of addresses, letting families know they had no home to go back to. Just a charred piece of black land.
As I slept I heard the wind, roaring. The wind that I love in all it's freedom--yet hate today, the catalyst. My mom came into my room about a half hour ago and gave me a heads up. Andrea called, her husband is working the fire and called home to tell her the firestation is talking about Rattlesnake mountain as a possible candidate for evacuation in the coming day. I haven't been as nervous during this fire as I was during the Cedar fire. We talked a bit about evacuation last time. But last time I didn't follow the blaze on the news and see all these people who had been in my shoes....kind of worried, but never thought the fire would reach their house. The wind is constantly changing and last night the winds picked up over night. I don't even know what I would bring...I have so many little things. Important things...my life stories.....pages after pages of rough drafts of poems and stories and...that's not even necessary, afterall. It would kill me to lose it all.
My heart is burning. And it looks like it's going to be a long road ahead...

5 comments:

Tommy said...

Trust me, I can feel where you are comming from. I came home to my mom pulling out and going through our "important papers". I hadn't heard about Rattlesnake Mt. but that's really scary!

Courtney Day said...

I know...! But we haven't gotten together anything.

The situation sucks,
but you know what...what an opportunity at the same time to say...God, you're all we really need. If you take our homes, we know you will deliver us.
It's not often people even get that chance in reality. In our minds we can say we'd do that..but when it comes down to it...now's our chance to be content in all circumstances.
I'm just getting antsy sitting inside all day...thank God, yes, for my house...but I really want to get out of it right now!
I'm going to go see if the gym is open soon.

Tommy said...

the situation sucks a lot, and it's amazing at the same time. Sometimes we need something like this to wake us up! It took a man 40 years and nights wondering in a desert for the israelites to catch on!

lauren lee said...

I think about those little things too. My house is safe... but... if it wasn't I think I would have stacks of journals and art in my hands. It's those simple little things that mean a lot sometimes.

Courtney Day said...

Most definitely.
And those things are irreplacable.
You may never have those experiences or thoughts again...and to lose that documentation would bother me for a really long time. As if I'd lost a piece of myself. I know, sounds strange.
Plus I plan on writing a book one day, a compilation of journal entries and commentary to help people go through some things I've gone through and to lose all that valuable, first-hand-experience data would be a real drag.